Nearly 200 sign petition supporting new Harrogate Tesco

A counter campaign has been launched in support of a new Tesco supermarket in Harrogate after a group of residents petitioned against the plans.

Tesco has applied to build the supermarket at the former gas works site on Skipton Road in a move which it said would create 100 new jobs.

The plans have been met with opposition from a group of residents who live on the nearby Electric Avenue and have gathered the support of almost 500 others as part of a ‘No To Tesco’ campaign.

But another petition has now been launched by residents who say there is a “significant need” for a new supermarket in the area.

Ann Lambert, who launched the second petition and has so far gathered more 100 signatures, said:

“There are thousands of homes on this side of Harrogate, the majority of which will travel at varying times across town to other supermarkets.

“The area is growing at a fast pace and it needs a supermarket that is close by and large enough to deal with the customers that are created from so much house building.”

Ms Lambert also said the 100 new jobs were much needed as she highlighted how Tesco has scaled back its plans after it was first granted planning permission for the site in 2012.


Read more:


These previous plans were never brought forward by the supermarket chain which has now proposed a smaller store.

Despite this, the group of residents living on Electric Avenue are still opposed to construction at the former gas works site which they say has become a home and feeding ground for animals including badgers, frogs, squirrels and hedgehogs.

Resident Jennifer Dance also criticised a public consultation carried out by Tesco and said there were further concerns over the potential impacts of the new store on people’s daily lives.

She previously said:

“I believe sites like this should be nurtured and cherished, not destroyed and replaced with concrete, steel and tarmac in the name of progress, prosperity and profit.”

Tesco has also acknowledged the concerns raised by residents and said all feedback would be taken onboard ahead of a decision on the plans from Harrogate Borough Council around April.

Residents can comment on the plans on the council’s website up until Sunday.

If approved, Tesco said the supermarket could open in 2023.

Residents petition calls on council to reject Harrogate Tesco plans

Residents living close to the former gas works in New Park have started a petition calling on Harrogate Borough Council to reject Tesco’s application to build a supermarket.

If given the go-ahead, Tesco would build a 38,795 square feet store and a petrol filling station on the site near the New Park roundabout.

Electric Avenue residents have cited various concerns, including pollution, road safety fears and environmental damage,

They say the disused site has become a home to wildlife since Northern Gas Networks moved out more than 20 years ago.

Two days since resident Nicki Balmforth set up the petition, more than 140 people have signed it. In the petition description she said:

“We believe that this new application should be rejected in full due to the time that has passed the abundance of wildlife now thriving on this land, and the certain destruction of their habitats.

“The site is home to and/or feeding ground to the following wildlife, roe deer, badgers, foxes, newts, frogs and toads, squirrels, hedgehogs, owls and more.

“We do not need another supermarket in this area, in a five-mile radius from this site there are 14 food stores including Aldi, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Co-op, and express shops. We do understand the need to support the new homes being built, but this is not the right location!”


Read more:


Electric Avenue residents are holding a meeting tomorrow night to discuss the plans.

Tesco has harboured ambitions for a new store in the town for almost 20 years. The retailer previously had plans approved in 2009.

The supermarket giant held an online consultation about the plans last year — 187 people responded. Of those, 62% said they supported proposals.

Gas supplier objects to Tesco plans in Harrogate

Northern Gas Networks has submitted an objection on Tesco’s plans to build a new supermarket in Harrogate.

The supermarket giant has lodged proposals to Harrogate Borough Council for a new store on the former gasworks in the New Park area of town.

Northern Gas Networks, which sold the site to Tesco for £2.8 million in 2003, is concerned about the potential impact on Harrogate’s gas supply.

Tesco site

The site of the proposed Tesco.

In its formal objection on the council planning portal, NGN said it retained legal rights on a high pressure pipeline at the site that was “instrumental in supplying gas to the town”. It says the legal rights enable it to prevent any building on or near the length of the pipeline.

The pipe cuts across the north-eastern side of the site from Skipton Road to Oak Beck.

It is standard practice for NGN to object to any plans which are close or over a high pressure pipeline. Its objection aims to ensure the company, which distributes gas to 2.7 million homes in northern England, will be involved in the planning process.


Read more:


A spokesperson for Tesco said:

“We will consider all feedback received on our application. We will have further discussions with Harrogate Borough Council about the issues raised.”

Artist impression of how the Tesco will look on Skipton Road.

Tesco has harboured ambitions for a new store in the town for almost 20 years. The retailer previously had plans approved in 2009, but pulled out after opposition from local traders.

Although many people have welcomed the prospect of a new supermarket in the north of Harrogate, some are concerned about traffic plus access to the site.

However, the company has said in transport documents submitted to the council that the site would see fewer car journeys than under previous plans.

Tesco consultation results reveal support for new Harrogate store

Tesco has revealed the results of a consultation it held for a planned new supermarket on Harrogate’s Skipton Road.

The supermarket giant has lodged proposals to Harrogate Borough Council for a new store, five years after pulling out of a similar development.

If given the go-ahead, it would be built on the former gasworks at New Park and would include a 38,795 square feet store and a petrol filling station.

Tesco held an online consultation about the plans last year and the results have now been released.

According to documents submitted by the company to the council, 187 people responded. Of those, 74% said they wanted to see the derelict site brought back into use.

A total of 62% said they supported proposals for a new Tesco supermarket at the site.


Read more:


However, the consultation also saw people raise concerns about the development.

Sixteen respondents “expressed concern that providing access via a roundabout was inappropriate due to the existing roundabout at Skipton Road / Ripon Road”.

A total of 43 respondents also raised the issue of highways and traffic on the local area.

The issue of traffic has been raised by cycle groups, which have accused Tesco of “greenwashing” over claims about reduced car journeys.

Traffic concerns

Tesco has harboured ambitions for a new store in the town for almost 20 years. The retailer previously had plans approved in 2009, but pulled out after opposition from local traders.

Although many people have welcomed the prospect of a new supermarket in the north of Harrogate, some are concerned about the impact of extra traffic on what is already a busy area, plus access to the site.

However, the company has said in transport documents submitted to the council that the site would see fewer car journeys than under previous plans.

The document says that the store would attract a total of 908 fewer car journeys on a weekday peak time and 522 on a weekend compared with its previous application.

Tesco has said there are no “transport-related reasons” to turn the proposal down.

It added:

“This transport assessment has demonstrated that the development proposals will result in a decrease in the number of trips generated by the site compared to the extant permission for the A1 Tesco superstore.”

‘No transport reasons’ to reject new Harrogate store, says Tesco

There are no “transport-related reasons” to turn down a new Tesco on Skipton Road in Harrogate, according to the developers.

The supermarket giant has lodged proposals to Harrogate Borough Council for a new store, five years after pulling out of a similar development.

It would be built on the former gasworks at New Park and would include a 38,795 square feet store and a petrol filling station.

Tesco has harboured ambitions for a new store in the town for almost 20 years. The retailer previously had plans approved in 2009, but pulled out after opposition from local traders.

Although many people have welcomed the prospect of a new supermarket in the north of Harrogate, some are concerned about the impact of extra traffic on what is already a busy area, plus access to the site.

Tesco has commissioned London-based consultants Markides Associates to produce a range of reports, including a transport assessment, to support its planning application.

The assessment says “extensive pre-application discussions have taken place with North Yorkshire County Council” about the application and says “the safety of the local road network will not be compromised”.

New roundabout

For access to the store, a new roundabout would be created on Skipton Road.

The assessment also pointed out that the development would align with North Yorkshire County Council’s scheme to widen Old Beck Bridge, which is to the east of the site.

According to the report, Tesco’s new store would “result in a decrease in the number of trips” to the site compared with its previous proposal, which was for a larger store.

The document says that the store would attract a total of 908 fewer car journeys on a weekday peak time and 522 on a weekend compared with its previous application.


Read more:


Under its original plans, which included a larger store, 1,303 journeys would be made during the week and 1,032 on a weekend.

The report said that the current plan would be “significantly lower” than the previous Tesco proposal.

It added:

“This transport assessment has demonstrated that the development proposals will result in a decrease in the number of trips generated by the site compared to the extant permission for the A1 Tesco superstore.”

Online shopping affects traffic

The report also claims that there is likely to be a decline in the number of trips to the store because of a “step change” in customers using online shopping.

It says the number of car journeys to supermarkets have reduced over the last 10 years, which has coincided with lower car parking demand.

Using national data on trips to food stores, Tesco says in its report there has been a “51% reduction for Friday evenings and 24% across Saturdays” on journeys to supermarkets. It said this shows a “clear reduction in vehicle trips generated by supermarkets”.

It claimed that the covid pandemic has also contributed to online demand at its own stores.

As a result, Tesco said it expects to see the trend continue into the future.

The report said:

“It is impossible to predict the long-term effects of covid-19 on people’s supermarket shopping choices.

“However, Tesco have experienced a step-change in the demand for online food shopping over the last eighteen months and it is anticipated that this growth is likely to continue into the future, which may result in even lower traffic generation than estimated.”

Car parking

Tesco has proposed that 181 car parking spaces, nine parent and toddler spaces, six electric vehicle charging points and 24 cycle spaces are created.

Twelve blue badge parking spaces would also be provided.

The developer has said in its assessment that the car parking proposed would be appropriate as the maximum number of spaces occupied it expects at any one time is 110 on a weekday and 166 on a weekend.

Markides Associates concluded in its report that it believes there is no reason to reject the proposal on transport grounds.

It said:

“Markides Associates are of the view that there are no transport-related reasons why the development proposals should not be supported.”

Stray Views: Swearing at ‘odd’ people sets a disturbing example

Stray Views is a weekly column giving you the chance to have your say on issues affecting the Harrogate district. It is an opinion column and does not reflect the views of the Stray Ferret. Send your views to letters@thestrayferret.co.uk.


Swearing at someone for being odd sets a worrying trend

The local MP for Selby and Ainsty, Nigel Adams, was recently filmed telling a peaceful protester who asked him a question as he was passing by, to “f*** off” because he did not wish to talk to him. This was because, as he put it, he was an “odd bloke with a top hat on chasing me down the street” and because he was “annoying”.

Subsequently, that has been applauded as “straight talking”. So I guess because our local MP (now also promoted to a place in the Cabinet Office as Minister without Portfolio) has just shown the way, that now gives permission for anyone to tell anyone to “F*** off” just because they seem “odd” to them.

For instance, a wheelchair user may seem “odd” to them or a woman may seem “odd” to them; or someone with a different skin colour may seem “odd” to them.

And if just seeming odd is enough to allow someone to swear at them, why stop there?

If this is the level of leadership the people who lead the county and country now feel they can demonstrate, we should be careful what we wish for – and be very afraid.

Friedy Luther, Spofforth


Read more:


New Park roundabout ‘an accident waiting to happen’

Re the proposed new Tesco, it must be stressed that the existing New Park roundabout is an accident waiting to happen with increased traffic flow.

There is a blind spot for traffic approaching from the town centre because of the flats built on the right concealing the approach of traffic from Knaresborough.  Also the outside lane allows traffic to either cross straight ahead towards Ripon in the path of traffic in the inside lane or to turn right up the hill towards Knaresborough.

Gillian Long, Harrogate


Why doesn’t covid hotspot Harrogate have a vaccination site?

In light of Harrogate’s extremely high rate of covid infections, why hasn’t the town got a permanent walk-in testing centre / vaccination centre rather than sending the population out of area to achieve any service at all?

Mike Hodgson, Harrogate


Do you have an opinion on the Harrogate district? Email us at letters@thestrayferret.co.uk. Please include your name and approximate location details. Limit your letters to 350 words. We reserve the right to edit letters.

 

Community grocery for people in need opens in Harrogate

Food waste organisation Resurrected Bites has opened a community grocery shop in Harrogate to help people who struggle to afford food.

The voluntary group, which turns food destined for bins into meals, launched the concept store at New Park Primary Academy today.

People pay £5 a year to sign up as members and are then entitled to pay £3, £5 or £9 depending on the size of their family, for items that would typically cost £30.

The shop, which can be found in one of the school’s separate buildings on West Street, just off Skipton Road, will be open daily every Tuesday and Thursday between 9.30am and 3.30pm.

Look for the blue gates to find the community grocery.

The new shop has a wide range of tinned, fresh food and frozen food. It also stocks toiletries, sanitary products and nappies in various sizes.


Read more:


Community groceries have been popping up all over the UK. They provide a similar service to food banks but because of the small charge they don’t have the same stigma attached to them.

Supporters donated nearly £1,800 to help get the new project off the ground.

If the new shop goes well, Resurrected Bites plans to open another in central Knaresborough in a location to be confirmed.

Grocery manager Sophia Clark told the Stray Ferret:

“We are aiming to support anybody who is in financial difficulty. There’s no stigma, anybody can end up in food poverty. That is myself included, I needed help during the first lockdown.

“The shop is here so people can save money on food and continue to pay their utility bills over winter. With the £20 universal credit uplift people are really going to struggle.

“It is just to help people get back on their feet. We are going to be running courses in the community hub in the same building on subjects such as debt management and budgeting as well.”

More pictures from inside the shop:

The shelves are stacked.

There are plenty of fresh vegetables.

A fundraiser paid for the new fridge and freezer.