Man arrested after shop worker allegedly assaulted in Harrogate

A man has been arrested after reports that a member of staff at a shop in the town centre was assaulted last night.

Police were called to Cambridge Street at 9pm after being told a man had stolen alcohol from a shop and threatened and assaulted a member of staff.

A statement by North Yorkshire Police today said:

“Officers quickly located a suspect nearby and arrested him on suspicion of assault, theft, criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon.

“The man, who is in his 30s, currently remains in custody and the investigation is ongoing.”


Read more:


 

Four teens arrested after burglary in Spofforth

Police have arrested four teenagers after a burglary in Spofforth.

Officers were called to the village after reports of a break-in at a house in the early hours of this morning.

Three 16-year-olds were arrested on suspicion of burglary and a 15-year-old was arrested on suspicion of attempted burglary.

A North Yorkshire Police statement this afternoon confirmed that all four remain in custody and an investigation is ongoing.


Read more:


 

Police warn of increase in house and car thefts in Harrogate

North Yorkshire Police has urged people in the Harrogate area to be vigilant after an increase in house and car thefts.

The constabulary issued the alert this morning, saying the number of incidents had risen “over the last few weeks”.

No further details were released.

In a post on social media, the police added:

“Please ensure you keep your homes and vehicles secure.”

Over the last few weeks there has been an increase of theft from insecure vehicles and homes across the Harrogate area. Please ensure you keep your homes and vehicles secure. If you have any information on these crimes call NYP on 101 or crime stoppers anonymously on 0800555111

— North Yorkshire Police – Harrogate (@NYP_Harrogate) July 29, 2022


Read more:


 

Two men arrested after police pursuit in Ripon

Two men has been arrested following a police pursuit through Ripon.

Officers pursued a black 4×4 Hyundai after it failed to stop on Marshall Way in the city at 11.30pm last night.

The car stopped after a short pursuit and officers arrested one man, but several other men fled.

A North Yorkshire Police statement added that officers and specialist search teams, including the NPAS helicopter, remained in the area to locate the men.

Another man was arrested following a search of the area.

A police statement added:

“The Hyundai is suspected stolen and was seized by officers. A number of items were seized from the vehicle, as well as those which were thrown out during the pursuit, which are also suspected stolen property.

“A man in his 30’s was arrested on suspicion of aggravated vehicle taking, failing to stop and going equipped for burglary.

“A man in his 20’s was arrested on suspicion of aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, failing to stop and going equipped for theft.

“Both men remain in police custody at this time.”


Read more:


 

Contactless donation points for homeless could come to Knaresborough and Ripon

Contactless donation points which raise money for projects to tackle homelessness could come to Knaresborough and Ripon under an expansion of the Harrogate Street Aid scheme.

Street Aid was the first project of its kind in Yorkshire when it launched in 2019 and it has since raised over £20,000.

Three tap terminals have opened in Harrogate town centre and now more could be introduced in Knaresborough and Ripon.

It is a joint project from North Yorkshire Police, Harrogate Homeless Project and Harrogate Borough Council, which is looking into possible new donation points.

Helen Richardson, community safety officer at the council, said the money raised so far was having a positive impact on tackling begging and rough sleeping, and that there was now an opportunity to expand.

She wrote in a report:

“The number of reported incidents of street sleepers and begging has reduced in the time Harrogate Street Aid has been in existence.

“Street Aid continues to give a focus for agencies to work together to support those street sleeping and begging, and a reduction has been visible – particularly with regard to anti-social behaviour in Harrogate town centre.

“There has been much positive feedback and we can continue to work together to support those on the street or with a history of street sleeping.”

Why it started

Street Aid was introduced after the number of people begging in Harrogate town centre increased and residents became concerned.

It was based on schemes in Cambridge and Norwich which saw similar problems on the streets.

Donations made through the tap terminals are not given directly to homeless people, but instead made available for things like training courses, gym memberships and work equipment.

To highlight the project’s success, the council previously shared stories of how the money has helped individuals.


Read more:


One homeless man who was mugged and had his driving licence stolen was awarded a £350 grant to get his replacement licence and take a refresher forklift truck course to start his journey back into work.

Another individual who had a history of breaking into shops and substance misuse told probation officers that being able to access the local leisure centre would help him get in a better routine.

He was granted £500 for a leisure centre membership, training sessions and a voucher for equipment and clothing.

Three other homeless people were given £300 each for computer tablets to apply for jobs, maintain their benefits and stay in touch with family.

Councillor Mike Chambers, cabinet member for housing and safer communities at the council, previously said:

“Harrogate District Street Aid is about making a real change to people who find themselves on the street.

“Some people assume that giving a few pounds to a beggar is helping them.

“Sadly, in some instances it may actually keep them on the street.

“Through Harrogate District Street Aid, we can work with our partner organisations to make best use of the money that has been kindly donated, work with homeless people and make a real difference to their lives.”

Review into stalking and harassment response in North Yorkshire

A review is to be carried out into how stalking and harassment is dealt with in North Yorkshire.

The review aims to help police and partners respond better to such incidents.

It is being funded by £100,000 of government money secured by Zoe Metcalfe, the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner.

The review will be conducted in partnership with the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, a charity that aims to reduce the level of violence and aggression in society.

A press release by Ms Metcalfe’s office said:

“It will see a victim-focused assessment of local systems, processes, training and practice carried out to help North Yorkshire Police and partners understand and respond better to stalking and harassment.

 

“Bespoke training will be provided to police officers and staff from partner organisations to become ‘stalking and harassment advocates’ and provide information, support, advice and guidance to their colleagues.”

£700,000 to protect homes 

Me Metcalfe has also secured £700,000 to prevent neighbourhood crime with an extension of her office’s Protect Your Home scheme.

More than 1,000 homes and 90 farms along the borders of Harrogate borough and Craven district will use the funding to prevent burglaries and protect individuals, families and businesses,

Security upgrades include new locks for vulnerable doors, windows, garages and sheds, and alarm systems for farms and small holdings.

Eligible residents will receive a registration pack through the post shortly.

North Yorkshire Police will also purchase additional Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras and upgrade Rural Watch signs in specific locations to detect and deter potential burglars.


Read more:


Total funding of £809,095 has been secured for the two schemes from the Home Office Safer Streets Fund, which the government launched in 2020 to reduce and prevent crime.

Preventing neighbourhood crime and addressing violence against women and girls are two of Ms Metcalfe’s priorities as commissioner.

She said the schemes will have “a real, tangible impact on how safe people feel both in and outside their homes”, adding:

“This is the fourth time the commissioner’s office has secured additional Home Office funding to support residents across North Yorkshire and York be safe and feel safe and I am confident that what these two schemes will deliver will make a huge difference to individuals, families and communities.”

Parishes eligible for the Protect Your Home scheme are:

 

 

 

Knife surrender bin to be installed in Harrogate in first for county

North Yorkshire’s first permanent knife surrender bin is set to be installed in Harrogate as part of a drive to tackle rising crime and take deadly weapons off the streets.

The county saw an 80% rise in reported knife crimes from 2020 to 2021 – and police have linked the increase to peer pressure, gang culture and cross-border criminals moving into the area.

In the Harrogate district alone, there have been more than 2,700 knife-related incidents since the start of 2020.

This included two murders on Mayfield Grove, and a man being left with life changing injuries after an attack near the Victoria Shopping Centre.

Other incidents included a man being arrested with 10 knives and a sword on Skipton Road, and three young people pulling a knife on a milk man in Knaresborough.

The increasing trend is being mirrored across the country and knife surrender bins are used by police forces during week-long campaigns.


Read More:


But not every area has a permanent drop off point where people can discard knives or any other bladed weapons.

North Yorkshire Police and Harrogate Borough Council have proposed to install a permanent knife surrender bin at the Dragon Road car park as part of a 12-month pilot which if successful could see more bins rolled out across the county.

A joint report from the authorities said “early prevention is key” and that “every knife deposited in the bin is one less that could cause injury to others”.

The report said.

“There is an increasing need for an all year round facility to enable people to safely, and anonymously, discard any knives/weapons found, not just during police campaigns at police stations.

“The vast majority of police intelligence submissions are in relation to young people carrying knives for protection from other young people with whom they are ‘feuding’, to protect themselves from being attacked whilst carrying drugs and also to ‘tax’ known drug dealers or those in debt to drug dealers.

“North Yorkshire Police’s aim is to roll out the bins across the entire force area subject to their evaluation of the pilot project.”

Harrogate has been chosen for the pilot because it makes up for more than half of knife-related incidents in the local command area which also includes Craven, Hambleton and Richmondshire, the report added.

It also said the proposed knife bin was designed to prevent break-ins and that residents in the Dragon Road area had been contacted about the plans.

A decision to proceed with the pilot is due to be signed off by the council’s cabinet member for housing and safer communities, councillor Mike Chambers, at a meeting next Tuesday.

BID launches campaign to increase reporting of crime in Harrogate town centre

A campaign has been launched to help a business organisation get a better picture of how crime affects Harrogate town centre.

Harrogate BID‘s Report a Crime campaign is calling on businesses, residents and visitors to report all crimes and anti-social behaviour via North Yorkshire Police’s website.

The organisation’s manager, Matthew Chapman, said:

“First and foremost I want to say Harrogate is a safe, welcoming and clean town. However, we hear regular stories from town centre traders of anti-social activity, including shoplifting, vandalism and drug abuse.

“In order to get a true picture, we are asking those who are either victims of a crime, or witness incidents, to report it online.

“Unlike calling 101 and then hanging up after several minutes, this means every incident is logged. This way, we can get a true picture of what is happening in the town.”

Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Zoe Metcalfe with Harrogate BID manager Matthew ChapmanPolice, Fire and Crime Commissioner Zoe Metcalfe with Harrogate BID manager Matthew Chapman

The new campaign is being backed by Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, whose chief executive David Simister said:

“Harrogate is a fantastic town to live and work, but when it comes to crime it’s not immune.

“However, the fear of crime is often worse than perception, but it’s important we get a proper understanding of what is happening – or not happening – in our town centre, hence us giving our backing to this campaign.

“In the past I’ve called 101 and after waiting many minutes I’ve simply put the phone down. And by doing this, an incident has gone unreported. In future, report it online and that way it is logged and recorded.”

It follows a meeting between Mr Chapman and North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Zoe Metcalfe, when he raised BID members’ concerns about a lack of visible policing.

Mr Chapman said the commissioner told him police chiefs rely on statistics in order to prioritise resources and, if crimes go unreported, police are unable to give the right resources to the affected areas.

She urged him to encourage all BID levy payers and others to use online reporting to ensure all incidents were being passed to police.


Read more:


Among the levy payers backing the campaign is Justin Sutter, business manager at John Atherton’s, which trades at McDonalds on Cambridge Street, who said:

“We are backing the report a crime campaign because the safety and security of our people and customers is of the utmost importance to us. We hope that we can continue to support North Yorkshire Police with this campaign and be a part of creating safer communities.”

The campaign not only runs during daytime hours, but extends to evening and night-time trading. Alan Huddart, secretary of Harrogate Pubwatch, said:

“Thanks to the BID’s support of Pubwatch and the introduction of the app, we are able to alert those in the scheme immediately to any issues.

“At the same time, I would also ask not just our members, but all licensed premises, to register any incident online, ensuring the police have a proper record of it.

“Harrogate is a great night out, and we want to make sure it stays that way by having adequate policing.”

Three men arrested and blades seized after Harrogate robbery

Three men have been arrested and four weapons seized after a knifepoint robbery in Harrogate.

Three 18-year-olds from Leeds and Sheffield were arrested on suspicion of being in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and robbery.

One was also arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer.

The robbery happened on Knaresborough Road near to Empress roundabout on Saturday, July 23, at 3.30pm.

Officers from North Yorkshire Police found the three men on Parliament Street after viewing council-run CCTV.


Read More:


The 18-year-olds had initially attempted to flee from police, but were stopped and arrested.

The men were found to be in possession of a glass ball in a sock and three blades.

A spokeswoman for the force said:

“Thankfully, incidents like this are rare in our county but tackling violent crime and taking horrific weapons such as these off our streets is a priority for us.

“We are absolutely committed to doing all we can to prevent this and to prosecute those who commit or attempt to commit such offences.

“If you have any information that could assist our investigation, including any dash-cam footage that may have captured the robbery, please email cidharrogate@northyorkshire.police.uk or call 101 quoting reference 12220129010.”

The three men remain in custody.

Police investigate Harrogate Empress roundabout robbery

North Yorkshire Police has launched an investigation into a robbery at the Empress roundabout in Harrogate.

Officers are investigation after three men threatened and robbed a victim on Saturday, July 23, at 3.30pm.

Police have appealed for witnesses in the area to come forward with more information.

A North Yorkshire Police statement added:

“Three males have approached the victim, who has been threatened and forced to hand over some property.

“One of the males has punched the victim before the three males have walked off towards Harrogate town centre.

“We are looking for dashcam footage / CCTV / witness accounts from anyone in the area at the time.

“If you have any information that could assist us with this investigation, please call us on 101 and quote reference 12220129010.”


Read More: