Recruitment crisis forces Bettys in Harrogate to close early

The Harrogate branch of Bettys is closing four hours earlier than normal due to the worst recruitment crisis in the company’s recent history.

Bettys usually stays open until 9pm but has recently closed at 5pm.

The 102-year-old Harrogate institution said today the covid pandemic was still having a huge impact on business even though lockdown restrictions have been lifted.

Bettys, which has six stores in Yorkshire, currently has 53 job vacancies, 39 of which are in Harrogate. Of the 39, 16 are for its cafe on Parliament Street, 13 for its cafe at Harlow Carr and 10 for its bakery.

Branch director Nicky Sellers said the recruitment crisis was being felt across the hospitality industry but in the past three to four months it had become a particular difficulty for Bettys.


Read more:


Ms Sellers said lockdown had brought huge amounts of uncertainty with the industry opening and closing over the past 18 months. She said some staff had left to pursue more secure careers, adding:

“The lockdowns have certainly impacted recruitment in the hospitality sector and Bettys isn’t the only one feeling that. We know from the industry body UKHospitality that other restaurants, cafes and bars across the country are in the same boat.

“The branches are really busy at the moment, which is terrific for us, but without the full compliment of staff we’re struggling, and we’re not even back to full capacity in the café tea rooms.

“We haven’t experienced a recruitment crisis like this in our recent history.”

Ms Sellers added the company didn’t know how long the current predicament would last but she hoped the industry would be able to stabilise again and “people recover their confidence in cafes being secure and fulfilling places to work”.

Are you looking for a job? Check out our jobs page for vacancies in the Harrogate district.

Ex-UFC fighter opens mixed martial arts gym in Harrogate

Former UFC fighter Ian Entwistle has started teaching mixed martial arts at Harrogate Amateur Boxing Club in Starbeck.

Entwistle had three fights with the UFC between 2014 and 2016. He fought in New Zealand, the United States and Croatia and his first round submission victory in America earned a performance of the night bonus.

He retired after he left the UFC but made a comeback in Bahrain last year with Brave Combat Federation, a Middle East promotion.

He has also fought on Cage Warriors, which is the biggest MMA promotion in Europe, and coached in Thailand and Australia.

Weighing in under the gaze of UFC boss Dana White (left).

Entwistle, who was born in Accrington, told the Stray Ferret his sister lived in Harrogate and he was in the process of relocating here.


Read more:


He will run classes five days a week that include wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing and Muay Thai, as well as one-to-one private sessions.

Anyone from the age of 14 upwards can attend.

He said:

“I am keen to work with students of all levels whether they are a beginner or a professional and help them achieve the success they seek.”

Classes times are:

Tuesdays 6-7pm
Thursdays 6-7pm
Fridays 5-6pm
Saturdays 10:30am-12pm
Sundays 10:30am-12pm

Starbeck all set for community day on August bank holiday

Starbeck Community Day will return this month after being cancelled last year due to covid.

The free bank holiday event on Monday August 30 will be held at Harrogate Railway’s Station View ground and will offer stalls, live music and a bouncy castle.

Chrissie Holmes, who organises the event as well as the Starbeck Christmas Lights appeal, said she has been inundated with messages from local residents excited about the family get-together taking place again.

She added she wanted the event, which is in its fifth year, to be about thanking people for their efforts during the last 18 months.

She said:

“It’s our way of paying people back for the pandemic.”


Read more:


There will be stalls selling craft and homemade goods as well as a bungee trampoline and bouncy castle for children. Barbecue food will be served and there will be a bar selling drinks.

There will also be performances from Harrogate Spa Town Ukes and Summerbell Dance Academy and a new Starbeck King and Queen as well as Prince and Princess will be crowned.

The event will take place from 12pm to 4pm.

Second set of roadworks coming to Harrogate’s Otley Road

A second set of roadworks is set to bring more delays for motorists on Harrogate’s Otley Road this month.

Temporary traffic lights are already in place at the junction with Harlow Moor Road, where Northern Gas Network is carrying out work until September 3.

More lights will appear slightly closer to the town centre when Northern Powergrid begins work to divert underground cables at the junction with Harlow Oval for 11 days from August 16.

These utility works are the final step before the start of the delayed Otley Road cycle lane. Phase one, which is expected to last a few months, is due to start on September 6.

The scheme will see an off-road cycle route created between Harlow Moor Road and Cold Bath Road.

The project will also require widening Otley Road on the approach to Harlow Moor Road as well as the creation of a designated left turn lane on the western approach to Harlow Moor Road and designated right turn lane on the eastern approach.


Read more:


 

Bilton man cleans Nazi graffiti off mural bridge

A Bilton man spent two-and-a-half hours cleaning a bridge mural yesterday after vandals covered it in racist graffiti.

Chris Knight decided to act after noticing the Iron Bridge, which is on the edge of Bilton and crosses over towards Claro Road, had been defaced.

It’s not the first time that vandals have targeted the mural since it was painted. But this time around they had painted a swastika and anti-Pakistani messages.

Rather than waiting for others to sort out the problem, Mr Knight took on the challenge with a brush and cleaning solution.

Emma Garness, the artist who created the mural, used special paint to protect it from graffiti, which enabled Mr Knight to clean it without damaging the artwork.


Read more:


Mr Knight told the Stray Ferret:

“When something like this happens, people always ask for others to sort out the problem. I just think why can’t we step up?

“During the two-and-a-half hours it took to clean, around 50 people stopped to chat with me and were thankful of the job I was doing.

“This is the second time the bridge has been covered in graffiti since the mural was painted. It was much worse this time.

“If it happens again then I will be back to clean it up. Maybe next time we will be able to get a group together.”

Ferrari towed away in Harrogate in police supercar clampdown

Police ordered a Ferrari sports car to be towed away outside Harrogate Convention Centre over the weekend as part of a supercar crackdown.

Operation Chrome, which North Yorkshire Police launched this summer, targets speeding, illegally modified vehicles and vehicles that shouldn’t be on the road.

The Ferrari driver was reported on suspicion of driving without insurance and failing to display a front number plate.


Read more:


Operation Chrome launched this summer with a police pledge to keep up on “the irresponsible behaviour of some drivers which is not only unsafe but also highly disruptive”.

Harrogate often attracts drivers, sometimes in modified vehicles, racing around the main roads, particularly during summer.

Superintendent Steve Thomas said:

“Residents and visitors should not have to fear for their safety or have their days blighted by this excessive noise.

“We are taking a zero tolerance approach to this dangerous behaviour.”

 

Harrogate district event organisers welcome government-backed insurance

Two event organisers in the Harrogate district have welcomed news of a government backed insurance scheme to protect them in case coronavirus restrictions return.

Both the chief executive at Harrogate Theatre and the organiser of Knaresborough Christmas Market saw the move as a step in the right direction.

Insurance has been a barrier for many planning to hold events as many insurers do not cover coronavirus related problems.

The organisers behind the annual bonfire and firework display on the Stray previously told the Stray Ferret that this year’s event would be a “huge gamble” without any coronavirus insurance.

Rishi Sunak, Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced the insurance scheme and said he hoped that it would help organisers plan events with confidence through to next year.

The £750 million scheme, which the government has partnered with Lloyds to set up, will cover events between September 2021 and September 2022.


Read more:


It will see taxpayers cover 95 per cent of costs incurred in the event of cancellation due to the event being legally unable to happen due to government covid restrictions.

David Bown, the chief executive at Harrogate Theatre, told the Stray Ferret:

“As we were moving forward we still had that threat of cancellation hanging above our heads.

“Insurance has been a concern for us at the theatre for a while. The insurance just don’t have a coronavirus clause in their policies. So this is very welcome.”

Hazel Haas, organiser of the Knaresborough Christmas Market, also told the Stray Ferret:

“This new government backed scheme sounds to be a very good idea for the events industry.

“I have not looked at the fine details of it just yet but this is certainly positive news.”

Live: Harrogate district traffic and travel

Good morning and welcome back. It’s Leah with you this morning bringing you all your latest traffic and travel news.

The aim of these blogs, brought to you by The HACS Group, is to make sure your journey is as smooth as possible.

I’ll include all the latest roadworks, traffic hotspots and any delays to public transport.

If you spot anything or get stuck in a jam, give me a call on 01423 276197.


9am – Full Update 

That is it from me this morning, Suzannah will be back with you tomorrow morning with updates every 15 minutes from 06:30. Have a lovely Day.

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


8.45am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


8.30am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


8.15am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


8am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


7.45am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


7.30am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are starting to look busier this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Traffic is building here:

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


7.15am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are looking clear so far this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


7am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are looking clear so far this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


6.45am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are looking clear so far this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses


6.30am – Full Update 

Roads 

The roads are looking clear so far this morning, today’s traffic hotspots are likely to show up a little later. Keep checking in.

Temporary traffic lights are in place here:

Trains

Buses

Harrogate business organisations launch Station Gateway survey

Three Harrogate business organisations have set up a survey on the upcoming £10.9 million Station Gateway project in an effort to gather more views on the scheme.

Harrogate BID, Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce and Independent Harrogate sent the survey out to around 800 of their members.

The aim is to gather opinions ahead of the second consultation of the gateway project, which is currently at design stage, in order to inform a response.

The scheme, which is being led by North Yorkshire County Council, Harrogate Borough Council and West Yorkshire Combined Authority, is designed to cut congestion in the town.

It could also see part of James Street pedestrianised in an effort to encourage more walking and cycling.

But, David Simister, chief executive of the chamber of commerce, told the Stray Ferret that more people needed to be consulted on the project.

He said:

“We are coming into the second round of consultation and we are trying to gauge the reaction of businesses.

“That is why we are doing it.”

Mr Simister pointed out that 1,100 people took part in the first round of consultation, but added that more needed to “feel a part” of the process.


Read more:


He said that the chamber was also looking at holding an in-person Q&A session between businesses and the county council at a later date.

Following the outcome of the next round of consultation, further detailed design plans are expected in September ahead of a final business case being complete.

A final proposal for the project is anticipated to go before the county council’s executive in December.

As the Stray Ferret previously reported, the county council has anticipated that work could start on the £10.9 million project in February next year.

It follows the recent publication of a 160-page document analysing responses to the first round of consultation to the scheme, which is a joint initiative between Harrogate Borough Council, North Yorkshire County Council and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.

Of 935 people who replied to a consultation question about traffic on Station Parade in an online survey, 49 per cent preferred the one-lane option, 27 per cent preferred the two-lane option and 24 per cent preferred neither.

Of the 934 who replied to a question about pedestrianising the northern section of James Street, between Princes Street and Station Parade, 54 per cent said they were either positive or very positive about it while 38 per cent were negative or very negative towards it.

Stray Views: For goodness sake, save Harrogate Christmas market!

Stray Views is a weekly column giving you the chance to have your say on issues affecting the Harrogate district. It is an opinion column and does not reflect the views of the Stray Ferret. See below for details on how to contribute.


Council negativity towards Christmas market is affecting traders

The benefits to the town of the Christmas market are enormous and the increased footfall and spend attests to this. The market is close enough to the town centre for everyone to benefit.

Unfortunately, Harrogate Borough Council this year has decided otherwise. It is saying that “the event plan did not take into account the risk of overcrowding and necessary evacuation procedures, counter terrorism measures and the ongoing risk of covid”.

However this is not the case — the site is open with easy access to the outside, the council closes the roads and there are big concrete blocks at the top of the hill. It doesn’t get overcrowded — it’s less busy than indoor shopping centres, football stadia, nightclubs etc where people are in close contact for more than the guidelines of 15 minutes.

That the council was not in touch with the organisers prior to making this decision reflects very badly on them.

Organising an event of this nature takes a great deal of time and planning and attractions have already been booked, such as the reindeers and Father Christmas! It is very late in the year for stall holders to make alternative arrangements.

I am a local craftsman and rely on events like this to stay in business, and I am only one of many in a similar situation. The government policy at the moment is to get the economy moving again as soon as possible.

Harrogate Borough Council’s negative attitude is hindering this process.

Lyn Grant, Harrogate


Labour’s politics of envy over Julian Smith’s advisory roles

Thank you for giving us details of Julian Smith’s lists of advisory roles. He is obviously highly regarded by these organisations who value his skills and expertise, why otherwise would they recruit him?

The comments of ex-Labour candidate Brian McDaid are wholly inappropriate. MPs on all sides of the House of Commons have similar advisory rolls and provided they are recorded on their register of interests they are quite normal.

Might I add that I have had occasion to seek Mr Smith’s assistance on three occasions since he was elected as the MP for Skipton and Ripon and he has on all occasions responded promptly and met me locally at his regular surgeries.

His re-election suggests he is doing the job by the electors. The politics of envy will never be a worthy news item.

Brian Hicks, Pateley Bridge


Read more:


Poor shopping, beggars… is it any wonder people are avoiding Harrogate?

Today I met with a friend from outside the area who was saying how much she used to enjoy coming in to Harrogate to shop but doesn’t come in any more.

The reasons given were so many empty shops, cheap discount stores on what was the upmarket street and beggars sitting and almost partying around the town.

I later walked up Parliament Street and in a doorway just before the old Debenhams store there were five people with drinks, sleeping bags etc and a mess on the pavement that appeared to be vomit.

Is it any surprise that people are becoming reluctant to come in to Harrogate? Do enough people care and if so what can be done about it?

Sandra Fielding, Harrogate


Do you have an opinion on the Harrogate district? Email us at letters@thestrayferret.co.uk. Please include your name and approximate location details. Limit your letters to 350 words. We reserve the right to edit letters.