Beech Grove was supposed to be the centre of a new cycle network in Harrogate from Cardale Park to the train station.
It would link cycle routes on Otley Road and Victoria Avenue, encouraging people in the west of Harrogate to travel in and out of town on bikes.
So this week’s decision to re-open the road to through traffic came as an unwelcome surprise to cyclists and left many wondering when the much-vaunted active travel measures for the town would actually be active.
It is now five years since North Yorkshire County Council secured funding for the Otley Road route. So far a third of it has been built, hardly to a fanfare of applause.
Two years ago the county council also successfully bid for funding to create cycle routes on Oatlands Drive and Victoria Avenue in Harrogate and on Harrogate Road in Knaresborough.
The Oatlands scheme has been shelved and there appears to be little prospect of work starting soon on the other projects.

Beech Grove
Some people hailed the council’s decision not to extend the 18-month Beech Grove experiment as a victory for common sense.
Former headteacher Dennis Richards said it was a well intentioned but half-baked proposal that turned nearby Victoria Road into a racetrack as motorists sought alternative routes.

There were plans to extend traffic calming measures into Victoria Road.
But active travel supporters were left gloomy about the prospect of progress on schemes to make Harrogate more cycle friendly and reduce the carbon footprint.
Kevin Douglas, chair of Harrogate District Cycle Action, said:
“We are very disappointed. We knew nothing about the fact that they were going to take this decision.
“If you bid for these funds, you have to deliver them.”
Mr Douglas described Beech Grove as a “key link” in the plans to develop cycling in Harrogate. Without it, he said the Otley Road scheme lost much of its value.

Otley Road
The council introduced the experimental order in February last year and Mr Douglas said this gave it 18 months to resolve any issues.
The council had talked about making Victoria Road one way and creating a wider low traffic neighbourhood but any plans appear to be back at square one. Several cyclists took to Twitter to vent their frustration.
Terrible decision by N Yorkshire. Worse that the 1st major decision by new Executive Member for Access Keane Duncan is to give a thumbs down to active travel, and the green light to rat-running traffic. It shows a lack of backbone & failure to commit to active travel.
— Hedgehog Cycling (@HedgehogCycling) August 4, 2022
So does the end of the Beech Grove experiment spell the end of plans to develop cycling in the area? It would appear not.
A council spokeswoman said:
“This information and feedback will allow us the opportunity to bring forward a detailed and coordinated plan, connecting active travel initiatives such as Otley Road and Station Gateway together as planned.
“We will involve residents and interested parties as we draw up plans for a wider package of permanent measures, which we plan to consult in September.”
But the prospect of another round of consultation doesn’t thrill cyclists who are desperate to see progress.
Mr Douglas said:
“What we need is less consultation and more action.”
Read more:
- Beech Grove road closure in Harrogate to end in 10 days
- Ex-Harrogate headteacher welcomes end to ‘dangerous’ Beech Grove closure
Ex-Harrogate headteacher welcomes end to ‘dangerous’ Beech Grove closure
Former Harrogate headteacher Dennis Richards has spoken of his relief at the decision to end the Beech Grove closure.
Mr Richards, who was headteacher at St Aidan’s Church of England High School from 1989 to 2012, lives on Victoria Road, close to Beech Grove.
He said closing Beech Grove to through traffic to encourage cycling and walking was well intentioned but had led to a large increase in speeding traffic on Victoria Road.
So he was delighted when North Yorkshire County Council announced yesterday that restrictions on vehicles using Beech Grove and Lancaster Road in Harrogate will end on August 14.
Mr Richards said:
“The impact on Victoria Road has been traumatic.
“It has been very dangerous, particularly at the top end where it runs into Otley Road, especially during term time.
“Since Beech Grove closed, Victoria Road has become a race track so I’m delighted from a safety point of view.”
Read more:
- Beech Grove road closure in Harrogate to end in 10 days
- Harrogate traffic to be counted for £11.2m Station Gateway
Being a former headteacher, Mr Richards said he sympathised with the aim of creating a low traffic neighbourhood to improve the environment.
But he said the scheme was “half-baked” because it had the unintended consequence of making the surrounding roads worse.
Victoria Road, he said, was particularly badly affected because the narrow section from Lancaster Road to Otley Road, where Mr Richards lives, doesn’t have any speed bumps to slow motorists. He said:
“Harrogate Grammar School is only 150 yards up the road and this will make the roads safer.”
Harrogate’s Victoria Road scheme delayed due to bin wagon concerns
A scheme to stop vehicles in Harrogate turning from Victoria Road onto Otley Road has been delayed because bin wagons will find it difficult to turn.
North Yorkshire County Council was due to introduce the initiative before the end of September as an 18-month trial to improve safety for cyclists using the forthcoming Otley Road cycle route.
A barrier would have been placed at the junction, and one-way only and no entry signs installed.
However, the scheme has been delayed while the council draws up a new design that accommodates turning bin wagons. The council does not know when the project will now be introduced.
Melisa Burnham, highways area manager at the council, said:
“The original design needs to be amended to accommodate the safe turning and manoeuvring of bin wagons and making sure the proposed one-way filter lane doesn’t have any other impacts on waste services.
“We anticipated this design stage to be concluded by the end of September.
“We are currently working with Harrogate Borough Council to agree a revised design before the introduction of the 18-month trial of a one-way filter lane on Victoria Road.
Read more:
- Victoria Road one-way scheme will stop ‘rat run’, says cycle group
- Harrogate residents criticise ‘ridiculous’ Victoria Road scheme
The council wants the Victoria Road scheme to join up with other active travel schemes in the town, including the nearby Beech Grove low traffic neighbourhood, the scheduled new cycle path on Victoria Avenue, and the Harrogate Station Gateway project.
Construction on the much-delayed Otley Road cycle route began last month.
There are still uncertainties over when the project will be completed due to negotiations with the government and the Duchy of Lancaster – the landowners of the Stray – over the use of grass verges protected by law.
Two arrested after police seize drugs and zombie knife in HarrogatePolice arrested two men in Harrogate after stopping their car and finding a large quantity of drugs and a zombie knife.
Officers from North Yorkshire Police‘s county lines drugs team pulled over a Volkswagen Passat on Victoria Road last week.
They searched the men and found two bags containing around 100 wraps of suspected class A drugs and the knife.
The men, aged 18 and 31 and from the Bradford area, were arrested on suspicion of possession of drugs with intent to supply and possession of an offensive weapon.
Both suspects have been released by the police on conditional bail for further investigation.
Read more:
- Harrogate man jailed after cannabis and cocaine found at his home
- Young man dies in North Stainley after falling from ride-on mower
The officers were from North Yorkshire Police’s proactive county lines drugs team Operation Expedite team,
County lines refers to when dealers travel to smaller towns to sell drugs that they have advertised online.
Police revealed details of the incident today. A spokesperson said:
“We urge anyone with information about drug dealing or if they believe a vulnerable neighbour is being targeted by drug dealers to contact us or Crimestoppers.”
Anyone with concerns about county lines can speak to the police on 101 or call 999 in an emergency.
If you’d rather stay anonymous you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Council to debate petition to lift Harrogate’s Beech Grove closureA 770-signature petition calling for Harrogate’s first low traffic neighbourhood to be removed is to be debated by councillors this week.
Members of North Yorkshire County Council’s Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee will meet on Thursday to discuss the traffic restrictions.
They were introduced in February and have proved popular with pedestrians and cyclists but caused complaints from some locals.
The trial restrictions have seen planters placed on Beech Grove to stop through traffic and create quieter streets where residents feel safer walking and cycling.
It has made getting around the area by car more difficult and that is the idea behind it – to decrease car use.
David Pickering is one of the 770 residents who have signed the petition against the restrictions, which he said have only made traffic worse on surrounding streets.
He said:
“I continue to be surprised by the enthusiasm of North Yorkshire County Council and Harrogate Borough Council to spend taxpayers’ money on projects which are universally unpopular with local residents.
“It is all very well for public sector employees to sit around examining ways of maintaining budgets and tinkering with local roads to divert traffic when it has no material impact whatsoever on their personal lives.
“But on the ground it will concentrate traffic down certain roads.
“Anyone with a modicum of common sense would be able to work out that it will just concentrate traffic on Cold Bath Road and Queens Road.
“I just don’t see the point of the initiative.”
The low traffic neighbourhood was introduced by highways authority North Yorkshire County Council and received the strong backing of Harrogate Borough Council.
Read more:
- ‘It’s working well’: Campaigner counts cyclists using Harrogate’s Beech Grove
- Around three cyclists an hour using Harrogate’s new low traffic neighbourhood
- Beech Grove closure: County council receives 600-signature petition
Last month, the county council ended a public consultation on the restrictions ahead of a decision on whether to extend the 18-month trial, make the road changes permanent or scrap them altogether.
Barriers on Victoria Road
Last month the county council also announced plans to introduce a one-way traffic filter on nearby Victoria Road in another trial to improve road safety and encourage cycling and walking.
These restrictions will be trialled from this month and involve erecting a barrier to prevent vehicles from leaving to join Otley Road.
Mr Pickering said many residents were also against these plans, which he fears will make traffic “unbearable” on nearby Queens Road and Cold Bath Road.
The county council was contacted for comment but did not respond by the time of publication.
Victoria Road one-way scheme will stop ‘rat run’, says cycle groupChanges to make Victoria Road one-way will stop a “rat run” and improve safety for cyclists using the Otley Road Cycle Route, according to Harrogate District Cycle Action.
North Yorkshire County Council will next month begin an 18-month trial to boost active travel on the road by stopping cars from using it to enter Otley Road. It will place a barrier at the junction and one-way only and no entry signs will be installed.
Some local residents who will be affected by the scheme criticised it last week.
Kevin Douglas, chairman of HDCA, told the Stray Ferret the nearby Beech Grove Low Traffic Neighbourhood has displaced traffic onto Victoria Road creating a ‘rat run’ which is why the move is needed.
He said it will also ensure a safer route for cyclists using Otley Road.
“The idea of these things is they settle down and there is less traffic, it’s to stop rat-running.”
Mr Douglas said he is looking forward to the various active schemes such as Victoria Avenue and Station Gateway being completed as it will eventually create a safe link for cyclists into the town from Harlow Hill. However, he said he was “frustrated” at the speed NYCC is taking to implement them.
He said:
“It looks like they are doing it bit by bit and it’s piecemeal.
“When we get the other schemes youll have access from Cardale Park to town. That’s what people want. But it’s taking a long time and it’s a frustration for us.”
Read more:
- Beech Grove closure: County council receives 600-signature petition
- More road changes around Beech Grove and Otley Road
A petition signed by over 600 people was presented to NYCC this week against the Beech Grove LTR.
Mr Douglas said the public needs to get behind active travel schemes in order to reduce carbon emissions.
He added:
Harrogate residents criticise ‘ridiculous’ Victoria Road scheme“The aim of these schemes is to get people to use alternatives [to cars]. If every time people say they want it somewhere else, where are you going to do them?
“I dont know where people think we will get a reduction in carbon usage if we don’t do schemes like this.”
There has been a negative reaction amongst some residents to the announcement that vehicles will be stopped from entering Otley Road from Victoria Road from September in an 18-month trial to boost active travel.
North Yorkshire County Council, which is behind the proposal, hopes the intervention will encourage walking and cycling and improve safety for cyclists using the Otley Road cycle route, which could be completed by early 2022.
A barrier will be placed at the junction, and one-way only and no entry signs will be installed.
It follows the furore over the Beech Grove Low Traffic Neighbourhood, which restricted traffic on the road to create a safer link into Harrogate for cyclists.
Guy Tweedy regularly visits his mum at Wentworth Court on Beech Grove and called the move to make Victoria Road one way “ridiculous”.
Mr Tweedy criticised the consultation process and said many residents first heard of the closure through the Stray Ferret. He said the new system has been brought in “by stealth” and will push traffic onto Cold Bath Road.
He added:
“They are trying to create more bottlenecks and congestion.
“The council are creating a problem.”
Read more:
- More road changes around Beech Grove and Otley Road
- Transport leader expects Harrogate’s Beech Grove road closure to be made permanent
Kay Weatherell lives on Beech Grove and her house backs onto Victoria Road. She called the move “absolutely crazy”.
She added:
“It’s all about the cyclists. I understand getting people out of cars but the majority of people who live around here are elderly people.”
Another resident who lives just off Victoria Road and asked not to be named, said the council had “put the cart before the horse” by not consulting residents first about the trial, which he expects to be made permanent.
He said:
“They’ve already made up their minds. It’s not democracy. They have not taken in the views of local people.”
“People coming up here will be using our car park as a turning bay. It won’t solve the problem.”
Conservative county councillor Don Mackenzie and NYCC’s executive member for access said:
“This addition to the existing active travel schemes in Harrogate demonstrates our commitment encouraging sustainable transport to ease congestion and to improve air quality.
“Like the trial on Beech Grove, we look forward to receiving the views of residents during the course of this experimental order. Those views will be taken into account as part of an ongoing review of the scheme.”