Excellence deserves to be recognised and celebrated. The 2024 Stray Ferret Business Awards is the event to put your business, people or great initiative in the spotlight!
Make the most of your efforts by reading our top 10 tips for writing your submission for success.
Entries close on January 19, 2024.
The contract to build 37 affordable homes at the Old Goods Yard on Hutton Bank in Ripon has been awarded to a York company.
Yorkshire Housing has appointed York Science Park-based NuSpace Homes to construct the mixed-tenure homes on the site, which was previously home to warehouses used by companies such as Millennium Windows and Power Plastics.
The scheme will provide 37 homes for rent, rent to buy and shared ownership and is being supported by grant funding from Homes England.
Yorkshire Housing is the biggest housing association based solely in Yorkshire, and owns and manages around 20,000 homes across the region, including older people’s accommodation and homes for low-cost rent.
Outline planning permission for the Hutton Bank site was granted in 2021 by Harrogate Borough Council, which was replaced by North Yorkshire Council in April this year.
The site is in an area that is deemed as having high housing demand, and at the time outline planning was approved Harrogate Borough Council said the proposed development would help “regenerate a gateway site in one of the District’s main settlements”.
Demolition of the existing vacant buildings is set to start soon, and construction of the homes is due to start early in the new year.
Sian Webster, director of development at Yorkshire Housing, said:
“We’re really pleased to be working alongside NuSpace Homes to deliver these quality new homes.
“This development will regenerate a disused brownfield site and give more people the chance to have a place they’re proud to call home.
“There’s a need for more affordable homes across Yorkshire, and this scheme takes us a step closer to reaching our target of building 8,000 new homes across the county.”
It is hoped that the first homes will be ready to move into early in 2025, and the site will be completed by December the same year.
Charity given cash from financial services profits
A charity based in Harrogate has received a £1,000 Christmas gift from the Benefact Group.
The British Thyroid Foundation, which is based at Hornbeam Park, was nominated to win a share of £120,000 by members of the public as part of the Benefact Group’s annual 12 days of giving Christmas campaign.
Founded in 1887, the Gloucester-based Benefact Group is an international group of financial services businesses that gives all available profits to charities and good causes.
The British Thyroid Foundation, which supports people to live better with thyroid disease, was one of two causes chosen for Benefact Group awards in North Yorkshire; the other was Fulford St Oswald’s C E Primary School Parent Teacher Association.
Mark Hews, group chief executive of Benefact Group, said:
“We are thrilled to be giving £120,000 to 120 fantastic charitable causes across the country and I’d like to thank every single North Yorkshire resident that took the time to nominate a charity close to their hearts. We know that £1,000 can make a huge difference to the incredible work that charities do and we’re looking forward to seeing how this financial boost will change lives for the better.
“Benefact Group is the third largest corporate donor in the UK and has an ambition to be the biggest. Owned by a charity, Benefact Trust, all of its available profits go to good causes, and the more the Group grows, the more the Group can give.”
Read more:
- Business Breakfast: MP visits Harrogate company in support of IT campaign
- Business Breakfast: Boroughbridge man named AA Patrol of the Year
- Business Breakfast: Growth hub hosts business support event at Ripon Cathedral
Business Breakfast: Consultants appointed to £14m Knaresborough housing scheme
It’s time to join the Stray Ferret Business Club. Our next networking event is lunch at Manahatta, on June 29th at 12.30pm.
Don’t miss out on this chance to network with businesses from across the Harrogate district. Get your tickets by clicking or tapping here.
A company has been appointed as consultants to a £14 million Knaresborough housing scheme.
Summers-Inman, which is based in Leeds, has won the contract by Yorkshire Housing to provide employer’s agent and cost consultancy services to the project.
The 64-home scheme is being built in partnership with Countryside Partnerships on the former Trelleborg factory site.
Work started on site in January this year and if all goes according to plan, the scheme will complete in October 2024.
David Blakey, Summers-Inman director and specialist housing lead, said:
“We are delighted with these appointments, many of which promise well for future work. It is a very active sector at a time when the need for affordable housing has never been more keenly felt and we are pleased to be working with Yorkshire Housing and Countryside Partnerships to be able to bring these houses to market.
“The existing Trelleborg factory was demolished some time ago and the new scheme is designed to create a community feel where residents will be proud to call home.”
Pictured above: (From left) Stuart La-Ffin of Countrywide Projects, David Blakey of Summers-Inman, Dave Bunko, site Manager at Countryside Partnerships and Christine Uren, development project assistant at Yorkshire Housing.
Harrogate Town announces new shirt sponsor
Harrogate Town has announced a new shirt sponsor for the 2023/24 season.
Tockwith company Oak By Design will feature on the back of the club’s shirts worn by the first team, women’s team and U18s academy.
The sponsorship will include home, third kit and goalkeeper kit.

Harrogate Town has announced Oak By Design as its new shirt sponsor.
Jo Towler, commercial director at Harrogate Town, said:
“We extend our sincere gratitude to Oak By Design for their generous support and belief in our club.
“We look forward to showcasing our new kit, proudly displaying the Oak By Design logo, and embarking on a successful journey together.”
Jamie Winspear of Oak By Design added:
“We are delighted to be a part of such an amazing club that works extremely hard to lead the way in so many sectors. They support several charities and young children who love to play the game.
“The club is all about encouraging the family day for everyone to enjoy and be part of. We very much look forward to supporting Harrogate Town AFC, not just for this season but hopefully for many more seasons to come.”
Read More:
- Business Breakfast: Sales manager celebrates 20 years at Harrogate district estate agents
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate brewery to host 10th anniversary beer festival
- Business Breakfast: Home care company opens Harrogate office
Developer apologises for debris in River Crimple at Spofforth
A housing developer has apologised after debris from its site near Harrogate entered a nearby waterway.
Polystyrene and plastic from the 72-home Yorkshire Housing site at Spofforth was floating in the River Crimple in the village over the weekend.
Yorkshire Housing was granted permission to build the homes at Massey Fold in October 2021 after a long-running campaign by some villagers against the development.

Litter strewn across the river and the nearby area. Pic: @spofforthmark
The organisation, which owns and manages about 20,000 homes, said in a statement:
“On Friday, some insulation blew open in the high winds and broke up. The contractor notified the Environment Agency straight away to let them know what had happened.
“Because of the stormy weather over the weekend it wasn’t safe to retrieve and clear-up the debris until this morning. We’re working quickly to do this.
“Windy weather isn’t an excuse and this shouldn’t have happened. We’ve discussed this with the contractor who will ensure any loose materials are secure to prevent this happening again.”
Signs on site say the development, known as Bridgewell, will consist of two, three and four-bedroom homes built in partnership with construction company the Jack Lunn Group and the non-departmental housing agency Homes England.
Villager Mark Lee raised concerns about the incident on social media.
Devastating pollution in Spofforth today, waste and debris from the new development by @JackLunnGroup @HomesEngland @yhousing @EdwardArch the river Crimple is actually blocked by your mismanagement and carelessness! @ClimateDesk @thestrayferret @Harrogate_News @UnderwaterMedia pic.twitter.com/IiszgX96hV
— mark lee (@spofforthmark) February 19, 2023
Conservationist Keith Wilkinson, who is chairman of Nidd Gorge Advisory Partnership and honorary secretary of Bilton Conservation Group, said the incident reinforced the need to look holistically at problems associated with Harrogate’s three rivers — the Nidd, Crimple and Oak Beck.
Mr Wilkinson said contamination from the Nidd tributaries inevitably impacted on the Nidd itself and therefore it would be better to adopt a more strategic view to managing water quality.
Read more:
- New Harrogate homes could trigger more pollution, warns conservationist
- Harrogate’s Rachel Daly scores twice as England beat Italy
Business Breakfast: Housing developers partner to begin £16m Knaresborough scheme
The Stray Ferret Business Awards will be held on March 9 at the Pavilions of Harrogate. The event will be a celebratory night with prize draw and afterparty. Richard Flinton, the chief executive of the new North Yorkshire Council is the guest speaker. Early bird ticket prices are available until February 9 and available to buy here. Bring your team, network and have fun.
Yorkshire Housing has partnered with major housing developer Countryside to start work on a new £16 million development in Knaresborough. The company’s have agreed to work together to build the 64-home scheme on the former Trelleborg site in the town. Work will start on the development, which includes affordable housing, in March this year and be complete by March 2025. Sian Grindley, director of development at Yorkshire Housing, said:
“We’re really pleased this scheme has been given the go-ahead and it’s great to be teaming up with Countryside to deliver high-quality homes to over 60 families, that they can be proud of.
“We’re committed to providing affordable and sustainable homes with cost-effective heating, power, and thermal efficiency at a time when it’s needed more than ever. “The scheme also brings us closer towards our target of delivering 8,000 new homes across Yorkshire.”
Andy Poyner, managing director, Yorkshire, Countryside Partnerships said:
“Countryside Partnerships is committed to regenerating areas and creating communities that people can be proud of. This site will combine spacious, high-quality homes with an exciting and evolving community where people will love to live.”
Harrogate kitchen company launches rebrand
A Harrogate furniture company has rebranded for 2023. Nest Kitchens, which is based at Thompsons Yard off Skipton Road, will now operate under the name Studio Nest. The firm said it wanted to reflect the changes in what the company offered as part of its rebrand. Holly Simpson, director of Studio Nest, said:
“We are an approachable residential design studio, focused on delivering bespoke furniture and interiors in our signature modern rustic style throughout Yorkshire. “Known for being refreshingly modern and forever classic, ultimately our spaces are reflective of the style, dreams and lifestyles of our clients.”
The studio on Thompsons Yard will remain open Monday to Friday for design consultations.
Read more:
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate opticians donates high-visibility vests to primary school
- Business breakfast: Solar plans for business park near Harrogate
Call for government to reject controversial Spofforth homes plan
Residents in Spofforth have called on the government to reject a controversial plan for 72 homes in Spofforth.
Yorkshire Housing Ltd has challenged Harrogate Borough Council’s decision to refuse its proposal for the site on Massey Fold.
The developer already has outline permission to build on the site, but councillors turned down an application for appearance and landscaping in November 2020.
An appeal will now go before the government’s Planning Inspectorate, which will decide whether to approve the proposal.
But residents have written to the government to call for the proposal to be thrown out.
Luke Barrett, who lives in the village, said in a letter to the Planning Inspectorate that the proposal was out of character for Spofforth.
He said:
“Spofforth is a historic village with only 500 houses. The entrance to the scheme is at the most historic side with numerous historical or listed buildings.
“The scheme is clearly out of character with this.
“The land presents such a rare opportunity to provide something special that could actually add to the character or beautiful village [sic].
“Unfortunately the proposed scheme does the opposite and detracts from the village. Please protect the village and dismiss the appeal.”
Read more:
Meanwhile, Spofforth with Stockheld Parish Council told the inspector that residents were not against more housing, but added that the current proposal was not in keeping with the village.
In a letter, Shirley Fawcett, chair of the parish council, said:
“The community of Spofforth accept the need for additional houses but there is great concern about the design, form and number of houses proposed; the layout and density of the proposed development; and the impact of the proposed development on the character and setting of the attractive and historic village of Spofforth.
“Indeed, the general consensus of parishioners is that this development would result in the urbanisation of the village, with no sympathy shown to the existing architecture, fabric or heritage of the village.”
More than 300 local people and organisations, including Natural England and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, have raised concerns about the scheme.
In its decision notice, the Harrogate council said the plan would have a “detrimental urbanising impact upon the character and setting of Spofforth”.
But, in a statement of case by planning lawyers Walton & Co, which is representing the developers, said the “solitary” reason for refusal was “expressed in generic language”.
It said:
“It is therefore unclear which particular aspect of the layout or design of the proposed scheme is considered to give rise to such impacts, and the assertions made in the reason for refusal are entirely unsubstantiated.”
A decision on the appeal will be made by the government at a later date.
Harrogate woman’s dispute with housing company over ‘unbearably hot’ flatA Harrogate woman has spoken of her anger at Yorkshire Housing for having to endure “unbearably hot” conditions in her flat since 2011.
Angela Sansom is the leaseholder of a flat on Kings Road in Harrogate. Yorkshire Housing, which is based in Leeds and owns and manages about 20,000 homes in Yorkshire, has the freehold.
Ms Sansom said work carried out on behalf of Yorkshire Housing on the roof and windows of the property in 2011 made the flat unbearably hot, with the temperature often reaching up to 29 degrees centigrade.
She said the regular high temperatures and the time it has taken to resolve the issue has had a devastating impact on her mental health.
Fed up by how long the matter was taking to resolve, Ms Sansom opened an official complaint in June last year.
A surveyor’s report, commissioned by Yorkshire Housing in response to the complaint, recommended measures such as installing trickle vents and heat reflective solar films to reduce the impact of the sun.
Read more:
- Harrogate woman in dispute with care home over visits to 99-year-old dad
- Harrogate woman appeals ‘unfair’ disc zone parking fine
Now Yorkshire Housing has submitted a planning application to amend the initial works. It has admitted two roof vents should have been included in the original work 10 years ago and will now be installed alongside other measures.
Ms Sansom said:
“It has had a massive effect on my wellbeing. I’ve lived in this house for over 20 years so I know it’s the work that caused the problem. It became unbearable.
“It wasn’t getting any better so I knew I had to lodge the complaint.”
Ms Sansom said she was pleased the planning application has been submitted but disappointed by the way the matter has been handled. She said Yorkshire Housing should have done more to support her during the process.
A Yorkshire Housing spokesperson said:
Spofforth residents ‘not surprised’ by 72 homes appeal“Work was carried out in 2011 to the roof and windows of one of our properties in Harrogate, this work was approved by planning and was undertaken in full accordance with building regulations.
“We have now submitted a planning application to make amendments to these works and to make sure the leaseholder has a comfortable home and we hope work will begin in the coming weeks.
“Yorkshire Housing is meeting the full cost of all the works undertaken to help support the customers wellbeing and we’re still in touch through a dedicated contact to keep them updated on progress.”
A leading figure in the fight against plans to build 72 homes in Spofforth has urged the government to reject it as the battle was reignited this week.
Yorkshire Housing has challenged Harrogate Borough Council’s decision to reject its proposal for the site on Massey Fold.
The developer already has outline permission to build on the site but councillors turned down an application for appearance and landscaping in November.
Chris Heslop, a third-generation farmer and parish councillor in the village, said the development would turn the village into a “carbuncle of urban sprawl” when it went before the council.
Speaking yesterday, he said he wasn’t surprised Yorkshire Housing had challenged the decision, which will now be decided by the government’s Planning Inspectorate.
Mr Heslop said:
“I just hope that during the appeal they uphold the decision that was made. There is nothing really we can do about it.
“Spofforth needs housing and it needs a level of low-cost housing, but this would not meet those needs.”
Read more:
More than 300 local people and organisations, including Natural England and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, have raised concerns about the scheme.
In its decision notice, the council said the plan would have a “detrimental urbanising impact upon the character and setting of Spofforth”.
But, in a statement of case by planning lawyers Walton & Co, which is representing the developers, said the “solitary” reason for refusal was “expressed in generic language”.
It said:
“It is therefore unclear which particular aspect of the layout or design of the proposed scheme is considered to give rise to such impacts, and the assertions made in the reason for refusal are entirely unsubstantiated.”
A decision on the appeal will be made by the government at a later date.